We’ve seen it all throughout the years, which means we’ve also noticed what some of the most common foundation issues look like. As a homeowner, it’s important to keep an eye out and call an expert when you notice something wrong. Here’s some of the most common problems we see:
Bowing floor in the garage.
Your garage withstands a lot of pressure since it houses heavy automobiles, so the foundation around it will often see damage earlier than other parts of the home. A common sign of that is when the concrete floor in the garage starts to bow or crack. If you see that, it’s time to bring in some foundation experts for an inspection. A common solution to this issue typically requires our block foundation repair service, which involves:
- Pulling back the soil around the foundation or cutting into the concrete to get to the damage.
- Removing and replacing the damaged areas while still properly supporting the structure.
- Relaying concrete in that area and for the garage floor if the damage was extensive.
Wet and musty basement.
Water intrusions can happen for a multitude of reasons, but issues with the grading around the home is one of the first places we check. Sometimes we find that the gutter system just needs to be repaired, and other times it’s a matter of using our corrective grading service. This job involves us:
- Inspecting the grade and window wells around the home.
- Improving the grade by making sure the soil slopes away from the home.
- Installing a window well that is built above the grade of the home.
Exterior foundation damage.
Depending on the design of your home, there may be areas of the foundation visible such as on the outside of the home or in an unfinished part of your basement. As the foundation naturally sustains damage over time, the concrete can develop chips, cracks, or spalls. This affects the overall curb appeal of your home and shows that the structure needs some repair. Our resurfacing job will typically be the solution and it involves:
- Inspecting the damage.
- Repairing or replacing the blocks.
- Applying a base coat of mix.
- Applying a final coat for a smooth, new finish.
Concrete & Foundation Solutions proudly serves the Twin Cities metro and addresses all of your concrete and foundation needs. Give us a call to get a free consultation set up if you’ve been seeing any of the above issues.